Dear Moderator

Welcome to my A2 Media Studies blog! It shows all of my work which I started on 18/06/12 and finished on 27/03/13. I put a lot of time and effort into my work and I hope that this is reflected in my final product.

My evaluation begins on 26/02/13
My final products appear directly under this text

I had a lot of fun creating my poster, magazine and trailer this year. I hope you enjoy looking at my blog, enjoy!

Thursday 8 November 2012

Research and Planning: Film magazine analysis 1


This edition of Empire film magazine is promoting the action film, Sucker Punch. This magazine shares many conventions of a typical magazine telling the audience what it is from first glance.

 The cover shows a medium-long shot of a group of girls. These girls are all dressed in tight fitting clothing and holding weapons. This image takes up the majority of the page and we are lead to believe these must be the heroes of the film. Looking at the way these girls are dressed and the fact that they carry weapons tells us that the genre of this film will be action. Their facial expressions all remain serious which tells us that this film certainly won't be a romantic comedy.

Magazines usually consist of a 3 colour colour-scheme. This magazine seems to have 4 red, yellow white and blue. This colours give us a hint of genre, red is usually associated with danger or blood and pain. Yellow also gives a hint of fear and danger. Psychologically yellow is thought to enhance feelings of emotional distress. The colour blue is cold, adding to the dark feel of the film.

The masthead is the biggest font on the cover and the colour red used for it stands out a lot against the blue background. It is also emboldened to add to this effect. This makes sure that the masthead is the first thing an audience should be drawn to.

The target audience for this film magazine will be film lovers as empire magazine has a large film-buff fan base. The sexualised image of the girls suggests that it may attract more of a male audience. I believe the age of people who would purchase this magazine would be around 18+

The things that tell us that this is indeed a film magazine and not a poster are
  • The masthead
  • The other stories from inside
  • A main image
  • Smaller images advertising free posters
  • A date of issue
  • A price

No comments:

Post a Comment