Dear Moderator

Welcome to my A2 Media Studies blog! It shows all of my work which I started on 18/06/12 and finished on 27/03/13. I put a lot of time and effort into my work and I hope that this is reflected in my final product.

My evaluation begins on 26/02/13
My final products appear directly under this text

I had a lot of fun creating my poster, magazine and trailer this year. I hope you enjoy looking at my blog, enjoy!

Monday 5 November 2012

Research and Planning: Film poster analysis 1


The poster shown is advertising the action/ thriller film 'Sin City'. The colours used show an almost comic book style with the red contrasting heavily against the black and white. The colour red could indicate danger to an audience or also represent love or sex, both of these things relate to the woman shown with her outfit and weapon.

 The low key lighting gives the audience an idea of dark themes which may run through this film. There is a strong representation of the female gender in this poster with her standing alone and central in this particular poster. She looks to the side and carries a large weapon to show strength, although she wears little clothing and is clearly objectified in this image she is not seen as vunerable. She appears to be strong and able to look after herself. As she does not look directly towards us we have no sense of connection to this character and we are unsure of her good/evil status in this film. The narritive is not completely clear as there is no background, we only see a half naked woman holding a gun in a comic book looking world. However the use of colour tells us it won't be as innocent as some other comic book films.

The tagline written in a comic style speech box says 'The ladies are the law here' this suggests that the character may be good and act as some form of police force in her dark world. There could potentially be a lot of action scenes involving females with heavy weaponry. Although there is no colour in the image of the woman we can see that she wears a lot of black, a colour mostly associated with villianry. However in this case it could also be applied to an anti-hero or a sexualised woman,(shown through the use of leather in costume.)

I feel that because of the violent and sexualised nature of this poster the audience for this film may range from the age of 18-40 years old. This is because the mature themes of this film will probably be deemed unsuitable for a younger audience and inappropriate for elderly audiences.

There is a lack of production company information used in this particular poster, this may be because 'Sin City' released many different posters for their film I just chose to use this one. These are things which make a film poster recognisible so I will make sure to include them when I decide to create my own poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment